Saturday, July 21, 2007

"Captain James Cook"

I clearly remember meeting writer/director Stephen Darmstandler and his wife at the Cast and Crew Call. Stephen's wife looked at my resume and recognized me from the My58 Host Hunt of 2006. She said that she even voted for me, how awesome is that?

I filled out a questionnaire they provided and went about my way. Stephen got in contact with me and invited me to an audition that they were holding out in Elk Grove, of course Michelle got the invite as well so, partner in crime by my side we drove out together. To make a long story short, Michelle nailed the role of "Blake's mother" and I scored the role of "Preppy girl" which I later found was mis-labeled (read on).

As a cast we all got together out in Elk Grove for rehearsal readings. Even though my part was small, I was excited to be a part of this project! Over the next few weeks, I was in touch with Stephen via rehearsals, email and phone. I must have made a good impression as he cast me for a cameo in the beginning of the film as well.

Next was wardrobe. The script read "Preppy girl" so naturally, I think proud crowd, cheerleader, miss goody two shoes, Abercrombie, you get the idea. I started putting outfits together and here is what I came up with:



So, I thought these were cute, kinda preppy, right? Oh, too hoochie maybe? Well, let's alter it a little then:



There. Pants = not so hoochified?

Oh what was that Stephen? You want a Filipina Urkel? Revenge of the nerds action?
Hey man, all you had to do was ask:




Above is my nemesis "Blake" bumping into me.

The shoot was a lot of fun. Stephen is a wonderful director and actor (he played the role of "Teacher"), the crew was all so nice and the entire cast had me laughing almost non-stop throughout the day, a bunch of characters.

In between takes we could nestle into one of the classrooms (at Sac High) where Stephen had the movies "ATL" and "RIZE" playing. For lunch we were fed the most delicious pizza from a place called Pizza Bell (located in Elk Grove). Think Little Caesar's Pizza meets... I don't know, something more expensive and more delicious! Was that an obscure example? Well, let's just say that I LOVED Little Caesar's Pizza growing up.

That was a fun day.

No comments: