Thursday, August 16, 2007

Section 8 Premiere at the Crest Theater!

Last Sunday I went to the premiere of Section 8 at the Crest Theater. Our movie was one of 22 other short films (see my post from August 3rd below). There is nothing like seeing your work on the big screen (look at how DIVA I am becoming, calling it "my" work), let me rephrase that, there is nothing like seeing Director Scott Howe's work on the big screen. That was hands down one of the coolest experiences I have ever had.

My brother accompanied me that night and a large group of us sat fairly close to the screen. I remember before the movies started to play Scott leaned over and asked if I was nervous, I chirped back "Nah, not at all!" as the night progressed and we got closer to the premiere of Section 8, I started to get a few butterflies in my tummy. Maybe because a majority of the films were comedies and ours was a pretty hardcore drama? Maybe because I was nervous about how everyone would react to the intensity of our content? Maybe I was nervous because everyone might laugh at my mediocre performance? We were each given a ballot and a pencil to rate each movie as they played (scale of 1-5).

11 shorts played before intermission and 11 shorts played after, ours was in the second half (which I was pleased about). What was nice was that Writer and Director Paul Nicknig's film played one before ours, this was a comforting feeling to have them shown close together, since Paul is part of our movie making family. Paul's film "A Walk in the Park" was really good. Also heavy material but great script and the actors were phenomenal!

When our movie started to play, I sort of went into this wide angle sense to try and get a read on the audience. It made me smile to hear little comments being made about me from the row behind us. It was a trip to see our movie on this big screen!
Ron was sitting to my right and we had this iron palm grip going, we were both anxious and nervous about what kind of reaction we were going to get! When the credits started to roll, the audience erupted in applause *exhale*

After the festival wrapped, we were getting out of our seats and these two gentlemen make a point to comment to us on how much they enjoyed the movie and our performances! Ron turned to them and said, "That is just so nice of you, thanks!" Ron was right, that was indeed the most perfect moment to hear the most perfect compliment and praise.

Off to the after party

The after party was held at a bar called "The Blue Cue". Directors were given 4 extra tickets (which were actually little miniature 8 balls). Paul and his wife couldn't go and so they gave us their tickets. This was a really neat event, they shut the whole place down to the public so we could have our 10 x 10 wrap / after party there! Good times.

It was neat to be mingling with people that you were star struck by in these short films. We met so many cool people (actors, directors, writers) that night, the whole experience was unreal. We anxiously awaited to hear which movie had won 1st place. At the end of the night however it was announced that they did not have the answer for us (due to the large number of ballots submitted). The Directors would receive an email to announce the winners (1st, 2nd & 3rd place) within the next few days, bummer. Oh well, *CHEERS* to a fabulous evening!


See, Look! No hard feelings between my interrogator and I...



**** UPDATE ****

Got a call from Scott today, guess what email he got???
Click HERE to see the Sac Film website and see the results. Scroll down until you see the BOLD print and read the results under: 10 x 10 Film maker challenge (Audience)

What an adventure!

1 comment:

Silver-Lined Entertainment Group said...

Hey! There's a ghost orb in this photo!!! :)