Monday, June 25, 2007

Kindred is in the bag!

Two production meetings, one conference call and about 1600 emails later, we finally shot Kindred and it was a complete success!

Call time for crew was 6am at Sac State University so I was out and about by 5:15am, on my way to the store to pick up bagels and a few other things for the cast and crew. Cast had a call time of 7am and Giovannie Pico, one of our three principal actors was the first to show up. We hit it off right away, she was such a sweetheart and I was happy being on crew where I could cater to her, especially after hearing that she had driven in from San Francisco! At the end of the day after watching her amazing performance I regret not asking her if she wanted a back massage and a steak and/or lobster... the woman is a phenomenal actress!

Next to show was Sacramento actor, Ron Brokenbrough. Hands down one of the nicest guys I have ever met and just extraordinary on screen. His delivery was so natural like he has been doing this since day one. Throughout the shoot I could hear different people complimenting him, both to his face and behind his back (I was one of those people). His ears must have been burning all day.

Jodi "Patient Tracy" shot her scenes in the afternoon so she showed up with her mom a little later in the morning. It was SO MUCH FUN watching this girl at work! I hope that she chooses the acting path, she'll really go somewhere with it! A memory that makes me smile was listening to her dad, director Scott Howe, coach her to clearly pronounce the word "Cholera" (as Jodi has a touch of a Chinese accent).

Oh really? I can be in charge of casting our extras? Hold on a sec... (dials cell phone) "Hey Michelle? What're you doing on Saturday?"


I had a blast recruiting and casting our extras, which I have always wanted to try (recruiting, scouting, casting). Everyone was an absolute treat to work with! Plus, I found out after talking to Bill Hennig (a.k.a "Vacaville Bill") that he worked on Oliver Stone's movie "The Doors" as an extra. I'll have you know that The Doors is one of my favorite movies of all time and Oliver Stone is my favorite director (right after Scott Howe, of course). "Here Bill, make yourself comfortable as I am about to ask you 250+ questions". See "Vacaville Bill" and one of the sweetest ladies ever, Anne Mox -below. Megan Page and Jim Quales were also wonderful to work with!




Another fun task was managing craft services, maybe it's the Filipina in me that loves hosting and feeding but it was a blast. Next time we will have pre-sliced cheese so I don't find myself saying, "let me cut the cheese for you" any more.

The script supervising wasn't bad. Well, for me any way... I wasn't there to see the reaction when it (my log) was busted out in the editing room. Logging each take and jotting down production notes for continuity kept me VERY busy. I may have kept Scott and Angela even busier trying to decode it though.



We shot my scene later in the evening around 8:00pm at the nursing education building at Sac State. What an honor to shoot and be in the same scene as Jodi and Giovannie Pico (SAG actress), I hope I didn't ruin the scene for them! Hey, I've always wanted to be a nurse so at least now, I can act as though I had the drive to make it through nursing school!



Kindred wrapped at 10:30pm. Long day which was VERY rewarding and an experience that I will never forget!


No comments: